While 2016 marked the year in which there were the most women ever heading top companies, their ranks are still low: out of 500 companies, only 27 have female CEOs. As more women climb to the tops of corporate hierarchies, will their being there help other women advance? This piece suggests it will.
We all like to succeed in out careers, but beware of linking your overall job satisfaction and happiness to your ability to achieve only positive outcomes, says career coach Joseph Liu. There’s a difference — a subtle one to be sure, but important all the same — between staying committed to your work and being overly attached to its outcomes. Many people consider commitment and attachment to be inextricably linked, but I’ve learned to see them as two distinct things.
You nailed the interview, wrote great follow-up emails, and got the job. But the first few days present new challenges, says business expert Sharon Schweitzer. Here are her 10 tips to help you make a professional impression on your first day.
- Absorb Company Culture
Before you start the first day, read and absorb everything about the company culture: social media postings, websites, employer profiles any annual reports.
- Conduct discreet due diligence
Develop a good sense of how the company operates.
- Leadership Team
Study any available biographies and LinkedIn profiles of the leadership team, your team and your supervisor. That insight will make you a good employee and team member.
- Arrive Early
Being on time is especially important on the first day, but arriving a few minutes early sends a clear message that you are motivated and ready to work.
- Follow The 80/20 Rule
Listen 80% of the time with the goal of understanding. Ask open-ended questions the other 20% of the time to succeed.
- First Impressions
Personal grooming is in order, including a fresh hair trim, clean buffed nails and clean teeth.
- Wardrobe & Attire
Prepare your first-day outfit based on company culture and have your wardrobe prepared for the entire first week in advance. This doesn’t require going into thousands of dollars of debt, but a polished first impression will last long after your first day.
- Portfolio & Pen
Depending on company culture, bring both an electronic and traditional paper tablet in professional business cases. You may be ushered into a training or meeting immediately upon arrival. Avoid appearing hapless on day one with nothing for note taking.
- Be Humble
Remember that as the new employee, you have a lot to learn. Ask questions and be ready to receive constructive criticism. Don’t take anything personally; instead, respond to all critiques with a gracious “thank you.”
- Say “Thank you”
Sending a quick note of gratitude to those who helped you navigate your first day puts you in contact with your new colleagues and demonstrates that you’re glad to be part of the team.
Many studies support the claim of women in the workforce who argue that men interrupt them far more often than the reverse. In 2014, a George Washington University study found that when men were talking with women, they interrupted 33 percent more often than when they were talking with men. What’s a gal to do? This piece has some tips.