Work From Home
We receive thousands of requests for more information on working from home after viewers have seen Women For Hire CEO Tory Johnson’s segments on ABC’s Good Morning America and on ABCNEWS.com.
This section is designed to answer many of your questions and to provide additional resources for you to pursue.
Before you do anything else you should be sure to read the information on how to avoid scams.
Exclusive WORK FROM HOME Webinar
Given the intense interest in this growing industry, Women For Hire has produced a comprehensive program devoted exclusively to serious, legitimate ways to make money from home.
As a registrant, you’ll receive password-protected access to the 90-minute video program.
*Start and stop the program to watch at your pace.
*Receive online access to watch it unlimited times for one full year.
*Get a downloadable RESOURCE GUIDE with links and contacts.
If you think you might want to work from home, this section is a great place to start. Before you do anything else make sure that you check out our advice on how to avoid scams. Take the work at home assessment to get a better idea of whether home-based employment is the right choice for you, and find answers to common questions about working from home.
- Work from Home Assessment
- Avoiding Scams
- Work from Home FAQS
- Find a Used or Donated Computer
- Job Boards
- Work as an Independent Contractor
Work From Home Jobs Rise
Sometimes the best way to make money from home can be found right under your nose.
Totspot is a mom-to-mom mobile marketplace for buying and selling gently used or new children’s clothing. Totspot users can list clothing items for sale in less than one minute, and all transactions are handled in-app. Totspot then notifies the seller when their item is purchased.
For busy parents who don’t have the time to sell their outgrown children’s clothing on their own, they can have other mothers on Totspot do all of the work for them with the app’s new service, Totspot Concierge. Some moms on Totspot’s online community currently make up to $1,000 per month selling clothing for other Totspot parents.
Don’t have kids? The company just introduced men and women’s fashion into its online marketplace, so you can sell that shirt you haven’t worn since the 90s.
There are other, peer-to-peer marketplaces to make money off existing assets, whether it’s clothing, pets, even items around the house.
- VarageSale is an online marketplace for families who want to sell their unwanted items to people in their neighborhoods. Once approved for a community, members can sell and buy everything from children’s clothing to cars at a fraction of the retail price. An added bonus: members meet and develop closer ties with their neighbors.
- DogVacay lets pet lovers make extra money dog sitting a pooch or cat from the neighborhood. Once vetted, set a price and have fun for the weekend or even during the week, schedule permitting, with a loving pet. DogVacay also offers insurance, 24-hour support and other services that makes pet sitting easy and fun.
- Tradesy helps women turn closet clutter into cash, allowing users to sell items clogging their closets by handling the transaction from the time a photo of the product is uploaded to its delivery to the purchaser’s door. Tradesy brings white glove customer service to the fashion resale space.
- Everything But the House specializes in estate sales but its experts can also help you make money off collectibles, antiques and other speciality items, from appraising to delivering the items to the winning bidder.
Debbie Lowndes was a mother of two working exhaustively as a Senior Purchasing agent for one of the world’s most well-known, all-inclusive, Caribbean resort chains. Maintaining a full-time job that included extensive travel, Debbie always felt pressed for time; she also had an ambition to do something more with her career… “something that felt more rewarding and that also gave me the freedom to be there for my kids when they needed me,” she explains.
In 2004, while feeling an overwhelming desire for greater work-life balance, Debbie thought back to a conversation she had with a close friend about starting a mini call center and working from home, using the Arise Virtual Solutions platform. “My girlfriend introduced it to me in 1996 when my son was about 6 months old but I didn’t actually make the move at that point; I wasn’t really ready. When I was finally ready to become a business owner, I reconsidered the call center business and the structure made sense to me.” Her wheels started spinning. I can do this, she thought! The idea of being her own boss, creating her own work schedule and working from her own home office excited her. She did her homework and decided the opportunity and timing was right.
Today Debbie is President of NicTa Services Inc. (named after her children Nick and Taryn), providing customer support solutions using the Arise platform. She says, “It literally transformed my life.” Read more here.
A growing work-from-home opportunity is to answer the inbound customer calls for companies like J Crew, 1-800 Flowers, Virgin Atlantic, or Walgreens. Check out the companies that are hiring virtual customer service agents and find out how to interview successfully for these positions.
If your area of expertise is public relations or you want to try and make money writing from home, there are opportunities out there that could be right for you. Learn about virtual PR firms as well as how to earn income as a blogger, writer, or editor.
This section includes legitimate word of mouth marketing and paid online survey sites, explains what mystery shopping is all about, lists great websites to swap items or services and tells you how to channel your inner Judge Judy.
Learn how to start your own website and make money through online advertising, find out how to turn your “trash into cash” on eBay, and how you can become a home based entrepreneur by providing a service or creating a product line.
- Make Money with Google Adwords
- Make Money on eBay and Other Websites
- Start a Business from Home
- Create your Own Product Line
We’ve started some of the research for you. This section offers a variety of opportunities to consider for making money at home. Only you can decide which, if any, are right for you.